Teddi Esko is entering her 20th year as the Head Coach of Women’s Volleyball at Rio Hondo College (RHC). Since 2003 Esko, has raised the bar of expectations, performance, and confidence within the program. She has provided a program that is committed to academic and athletic success. The vast majority of Coach Esko’s student-athletes transfer to four-year universities to continue their academic and athletic career, sending players across the nation to states including New York, Vermont, Delaware, Kansas, North Dakota, Arizona, and California.
In 2013, Coach Esko started the beach volleyball program, providing the dual-sport collegiate opportunity for her student-athletes and increasing transfer and retention rates.
Esko earned Coach of the Year in 2012 and 2015 in the Foothill Conference.
In 2019, she again was voted as Coach of the Year in the South Coast Conference after leading the Roadrunners to a spot in the Southern California Regional Playoffs.
Esko is a member of AVCA (American Volleyball Coaches Association), where she serves as a Mentor Coach for the Match Point Program. She is also very active in the CCCWVCA and CCCBVCA, serving as the conference representative and Beach Association executive board member/secretary.
Esko is also a Professor of Kinesiology at RHC and instructs the Principles of Strength and Conditioning and Sports Nutrition classes and is a certified online instructor with expertise in distance education course development and instruction. In addition, she serves on the Kinesiology Advisory board for Career education and training.
Coach Esko earned a B.S.E in Kinesiology and Health from Arkansas State University. After her collegiate career, she attended California State University Dominguez Hills and obtained a Master’s Degree in Administration and Physical Education.
- 2003–present Rio Hondo College (Indoor & Beach)
- Coach of the Year 2012, 2015, 2019
- SoCal Regional Playoffs Advancements
- 2021-present-APEX1 VBC
- 2022 SCVA Soiree Gold Medal 15U division
- 2014-2016-Santiago Canyon College (Men’s Golf)
- 2015 Finished 3rd in the Orange Empire Conference & 5th at SoCal Regional Playoffs
- 2015 Lead 2 golfers to the CCCAA State Championships Tournament
- 2016 Finished 2nd in the Orange Empire Conference & SoCal Regionals Playoffs
- 2016 Finished 5th in CCCAA State Championships
- 2002-06 – Magnolia High School (Varsity Boys & Girls)
- 1999–2002-Club Beach VBC
Long Beach Wilson High School
- Multi-sport sport athlete, participating in soccer & volleyball; two-time all-CIF selection in volleyball; Moore League MVP-volleyball.
Arkansas State University
- Starter as a freshman, Division 1 scholarship
- Sun Belt Conference Champions & NCAA Tournament
On a personal note:
Coach Esko had the pleasure of coaching against her father (Larry Chowen-LB State Men's Volleyball '71-72) for 14 seasons while he was the Head Coach at Chaffey College. Coach Chowen retired in 2016. Teddi still actively participates in volleyball, playing in indoor leagues, grass and beach tournaments and resides in Huntington Beach with her husband and two daughters.